October 05, 2011

Birdseye Views - Play Along at Home

I thought that I would pass along a great link for those people who are researching their old houses.  www.historicaerials.com makes available aerial photos of geographic locations from various times in the past.  For my house, they have overhead pictures from 1934, 1949, 1960, 1974 and 2006.  Pretty amazing to see the land change incrementally from wide open farmland to New York City suburb over a period of 70 years.  Particularly interesting is how long this location maintained its rural landscape.  Through 1960, my property consisted largely of open fields, stone walls and agricultural structures.  Pretty amazing.  Sadly, I can't paste in a picture here, but this link shows the Enos Kellogg Homestead property in 1934:


Check out your old house's address - very cool.  Now if only I could get back all those wide open acres . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment: