English Barn 1
A timber framed structure located to the west of the dwelling house was constructed in the late 18th century or early 19th century, as evidence by its raised plate construction and evidence of spoon bit augering in open mortises. Victorian era photographs of the property show the structure in use as a barn. The structure has undergone various changes over the years, including the addition and removal of a cupola, the replacement of the front facade, and the replacement of various framing elements. Three cattle stanchions remain in place, anchored into a concrete pad inscribed 1917. The barn has remained in continuous use as an outbuilding on the Enos Kellogg House property to the present day.
The property is crossed by a series of substantial fieldstone walls, delineating what were once fields and pastures.
Other Associated Structures and Resources
English Barn 2
A timber framed structure (Photo 12) located directly across the street from the house was part of the farm at least as early as 1832, when the estate inventory of Enos Kellogg references the “Barn West Side of Road”. Victorian era photographs of the property show the structure in use as an outbuilding, likely as barn. Since converted to a private residence, framing details of the structure are unknown. In a personal interview with the current owner of the Enos Kellogg House, an employee of previous owners who worked as a gardener on the property in the 1930s and 40s recalls his employers driving their Model T Ford through the large barn doors on the front of the structure, which they used as a barn and garage.
A fieldstone structure located across the street from the house and adjacent to English Barn 2 was part of the farm property at least as early as 1832, when the estate inventory of Enos Kellogg references the “Carriage house West side of road”. Victorian era photographs of the property show the structure in use as an outbuilding of indeterminate function. The structure has undergone significant renovations, and framing details are not visible. The building is currently used as a rental residence.